October 20, 2010

21st Century Literary Expression

Along with the new age of literature is the new age of expressing one's self. More than ever, it has become popular to not only get tattoos, but to get literary tattoos. As the owner of a few tattoos, this idea intrigues me. As a writer, I know that expressing myself in other mediums besides print can be an overwhelming task, thus, I feel the idea of tattooing the work of a favorite author sounds sensible, and just as intimate as if it were my own prose. It has been proven time and time again that the writing of others can, and has, impacted almost everyone. I retrieved some work from two of my favorite literary tattoo sites (tattoo lit.com and contrariwise.org), and I'm excited to share them. Although not all of the tattoos are strictly in the genre of 21st century literature, the idea of literary tattoo art, to me, is amazing.

 Inspired by: Allen Ginsberg’s An Eastern Ballad.















 
Inspired by: Kurt Vonnegut's Slaughterhouse-Five.















 


Inspired by: Everything Is Illuminated by Jonathan Safran Foer.










Inspired by: Shel Silverstein’s “Invitation”















Inspired by: Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll.














 
Inspired by: Charles Bukowski, from the 
book The Flash of Lightning Behind the Mountain.













Inspired by: George Orwell’s novel 1984.












Inspired by: Lemony Snicket’s A Series of Unfortunate Events.












Inspired by: Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas: A Savage 
Journey to the Heart of the American Dream by Hunter S. Thompson,














Inspired by: Sharon Olds' I Go Back to May 1937.

No comments:

Post a Comment